LAS VEGAS – The Latest on the anniversary of the Oct. 1, 2017, Las Vegas mass shooting (all times local):
Survivors of last year’s mass shooting in Las Vegas are reuniting this weekend ahead of the anniversary of the tragedy.
About 3,500 people are expected at a private gathering Saturday in the Las Vegas area that will include several performances and vendors. Some of the vendors had booths at the outdoor country music festival where 58 people were killed Oct. 1, 2017.
Counseling services and therapy dogs will be available at the all-day event at a park.
Co-organizer Shawna Bartlett says the gathering is an effort to “take back” what was taken from people at the Route 91 Harvest Festival. Another organizer, Connie Long, called it a “family reunion.”
Bartlett and Long attended the festival.
Those attending Saturday’s ticketed reunion will get a cap that has the names of all 58 victims inside.
A garden in downtown Las Vegas is home to photos, ribbons, cowboy boots and many other items placed in memory of the 58 people who were killed almost a year ago in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
The garden created by volunteers has given survivors and families of slain victims a place to mourn and heal.
Angelica Cervantes’ son, Erick Silva, was killed in the Oct. 1 shooting. He was a security guard at the outdoor concert venue on the Las Vegas Strip where the shooting happened.
Cervantes says she visits the garden every other week and asks her son to watch over her, his stepfather and siblings.
Today, the garden is the only permanent public space in the Las Vegas area created in memory of the victims.
Find complete AP coverage of the Las Vegas mass shooting here: https://apnews.com/tag/LasVegasmassshooting.
If you enjoyed our content, we'd really appreciate some "love" with a share or two.
And ... Don't forget to have fun!