Trump’s new Cuba crackdown puts US at odds with Canada and Europe

US will allow lawsuits against companies using property nationalised by the revolution, cap remittances and restrict non-family travel

Donald Trump has taken another step towards reversing Barack Obamas historic rapprochement with Cuba with a measure that earned swift criticism from allies in Canada and Europe.

The US announced on Wednesday that it would enable lawsuits against foreign companies that use properties nationalised by the communist government after Fidel Castros 1959 revolution.

The policy shift, which could draw hundreds of thousands of legal claims worth tens of billion of dollars, aims to put pressure on Cuba at a moment when the US is demanding an end to Havanas support for Venezuelas socialist president, Nicols Maduro.

Recommended For You

Klippyo Masterclass

Your A-Z, step-by-step guide on crushing it with video in your local market, online and anywhere in the world! This exclusive class is brought to you by Derral Eves, expert and authority on all things video marketing.

(UD) (Pro) X Ranker 360 2.0

The ONLY Web-App Guaranteed To Rank More Of Your Videos On Page 1 of Google in 48 hours or less - See a LIVE Case Study here.

Three For One Hosting Reseller 50 Package

Three For One Hosting Reseller 50 Package -- 100% Frontend Commission on 50 Three For One Hosting Accounts

Triple Traffic Bots PRO | 3-In-1 Automated Traffic ‘Triple Threat’ System!

Triple Traffic Bots combines a unique profit method with cutting-edge tools you can access for FREE - to make consistent income WITHOUT upfront costs! Never-Before-Seen!

Sign up for the US morning briefing

It was condemned by Cuba as an attack on international law and by Canada and the European Union as regrettable, since their companies have significant investments in hotels, distilleries, tobacco factories and other properties on the island.

Title III of the Helms-Burton Act had been fully waived by every president over the past 23 years due to concerns from the international community and fears that it could overwhelm US courts with lawsuits.

But Trump, who has made a habit of breaking from his predecessors, gave the go-ahead for it to be activated. Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, said that, for the first time, US citizens will be able to bring lawsuits against individuals trafficking in property that was confiscated by the Cuban regime.

Pompeo accused the Obama administration of playing a game of footsy with the Castros junta which did not deter it from targeting human rights activists. Detente with the regime has failed, the secretary told reporters.

The issue has come to a head now as the US argues that Cubas security and intelligence support is crucial to Maduros grip on power amid Venezuelas economic and political crisis.

Pompeo added: Cubas behaviour in the western hemisphere undermines the security and stability of countries throughout the region, which directly threatens United States national security interests. The Cuban regime has for years exported its tactics of intimidation, repression and violence.

Theyve exported this to Venezuela in direct support of the former Maduro regime. Cuban military intelligence and state security services today keep Maduro in power.

The decision represents a blow to Cubas efforts to draw foreign investment. The foreign minister, Bruno Rodrguez, retorted on Twitter: I strongly reject the announcement of State Secretary Pompeo. This is an attack on international law and the sovereignty of Cuba and third states. Aggressive escalation of USA against Cuba will fail.

Numerous foreign companies have invested in Cuba since Obama eased restrictions. A joint EU-Canada statement said the US move was regrettable and will have an important impact on legitimate EU and Canadian economic operators in Cuba.

James Williams, president of the pressure group Engage Cuba said: President Trump is doing this for one reason, and one reason only: to appease fringe hardliners in South Florida ahead of the 2020 election. The only way to get property claimants what they deserve is through diplomatic negotiations, which President Trump just threw off the table.

On Wednesday Trumps national security adviser, John Bolton, also announced a series of new sanctions against Cuba and Venezuela, including a new cap on the amount of money that families in the US can send to relatives in Cuba.

Remittances from the United States have surged since Obama started easing restrictions on them in 2009, becoming an important part of the Cuban economy and fueling the growth of the private sector by providing startup capital.

He also said the United States would also further restrict non-family travel by Americans to Cuba, though he offered no details.

In a speech to an association of veterans of the failed 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion, Bolton said the US was adding five names linked to Cubas military and intelligence services to its sanctions blacklist. Under this administration, we dont throw dictators lifelines, Bolton said in Miami. We take them away.

Associated Press contributed to this report

Original Article : HERE ; This post was curated & posted using : RealSpecific

Thank you for taking the time to read our article.

If you enjoyed our content, we'd really appreciate some "love" with a share or two.

And ... Don't forget to have fun!

Recommended

ZeroTo10K Irresistible Bundle Full Access

Get 10 super valuable software and training products with unlimited access for just one low price. No need to part with tons of cash to buy them individually - just get them for one payment.

TigerPress Volume 6 White Label

Adds additional functionality to TigerPress themes so they can be white labelled.

MailEngine - Agency Elite

Powerful email marketing system that improves your inboxing and increases your returns from email marketing

Leave a Reply